Last month, Variety wrote an article listing the top places in the world that location managers, directors and other industry insiders voted as best locations for filmmaking.
Reel-Scout is excited to share that our film office clients represent two of the Top 5 markets for filmmaking: California (No. 1) and New Mexico (No. 3).
Listed below are some of the unique features that make California and New Mexico popular with the film and television production industries.
- Deepest talent pool on/off camera.
- Largest, most technologically advanced production infrastructure and equipment globally.
- Varied outdoor filming locations: snowy mountains, beaches, vineyards, forests, deserts, hilly cities (San Francisco), palmy urban areas (Los Angeles), and of course the one and only Hollywood.
- 20-25% tax credits.
- Unusual sceneries and locations from white desert sands to woodsy mountains.
- 25% tax rebates.
- Rapid and steady growth of local studios such as Albuquerque Studios, Rio Grande Studios, and a new studio complex soon to be launched in Santa Fe.
- Large crew base.
A few more of our clients receive Honorable Mentions: for “Best Incentives” — Michigan, Georgia, and North Carolina; for “Best Film-Office Support” — Connecticut and Utah; and for “Best Doubles for Locations” — Arizona.
BEST PLACES FOR FILMMAKING
And here’s is the complete list of “best places for filmmaking” according to industry pros:
Top 5 North American Locations
- New York
- New Mexico
Top 5 International Locations
- United Kingdom
- Best Visual Appeal – Croatia, Hawaii, Panama
- Best Incentives – Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina
- Best Film-Office Support – Connecticut, Utah, Vancouver
- Best Production Resources – Sydney, Montreal, Toronto
- Best Doubles for Other Locations – Buenos Aires, Iceland, Arizona
Congratulations to all Reel-Scout clients who made this much-coveted list! To read the entire article, please click here.
Banner image of a San Francisco, California neighborhood via Google.